Relationships and Sex Education
Relationships, Health and Sex Education Policy consultation with parents
The aims of PSHE and RSE at Water Orton Primary School are to:
- Promote the spiritual, moral, cultural, mental and physical development of all pupils.
- Prepare pupils for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of later life.
- Encourage pupils to value themselves and others.
- Allow pupils to acknowledge and appreciate difference and diversity.
- Teach pupils how to make informed choices.
- Prepare pupils to be positive and active members of a democratic society.
- Teach pupils to understand what constitutes a safe and healthy lifestyle.
- Provide a framework in which sensitive discussions can take place.
- Promote safety in forming and maintaining relationships.
- Provide pupils with a toolkit for understanding and managing their emotions.
- Provide pupils with the opportunities to consider issues which may affect their own lives and/or the lives of others. Help pupils to identify the characteristics of healthy relationships, how relationships may affect mental and physical health; and how to stay safe online.
- Prepare pupils for puberty, and give them an understanding of sexual development and the importance of health and hygiene.
- Help pupils develop feelings of self-respect, confidence and empathy.
- Create a positive culture around issues of sexuality and relationships.
- Teach pupils the correct vocabulary to describe themselves and their bodies.
In this section you will find further information for parents and a link to the survey (now closed) that was used during the parent consultation process in spring and summer 2021.